After much anticipation, the official Gold Coast MONOPOLY board launches today.
Locals and tourists alike can now play the world’s most popular board game in a way that immortalises their beloved Gold Coast and its landmarks.
Over the past few months thousands of people and businesses have had their say, and after much deliberation, the locally themed squares selected that will make the entire game a truly Gold Coast experience are:
- Brown– Tamborine Mountain and Springbrook National Park
- Light Blue– Surfers Paradise Beachfront Markets, Beach Festival and Miami Marketta
- Pink– HOTA (Home of the Arts), CBUS Super Stadium and Metricon Stadium
- Orange– Dreamworld, Wet ‘N’ Wild and Movie World
- Red– Cavill Avenue, Pacific Fair and The Star
- Yellow– Main Beach, South Stradbroke Island and Sanctuary Cove
- Green– Currumbin Wildlife Sanctuary, Bond University and QT Gold Coast
- Dark Blue– Skypoint Observation Deck and Gold Coast Lifeguards
This morning at the iconic Surfers Paradise sign the Gold Coast Deputy Mayor – Donna Gates – had the first roll of the dice alongside the Gold Coast Lifeguards.
Gold Coast Deputy Mayor, Donna Gates said, “What an honour it is to be able to launch this board. I’m glad so many fans and businesses got involved in having their say, because the board truly showcases what this great city has to offer. It’s everything you love about the traditional game, adapted in a way that all Gold Coast lovers will enjoy for years to come.”
Dale Hackett, representative from Winning Moves – manufacturers of the official Gold Coast version of MONOPOLY under license from Hasbro – says, “I’m thrilled that this edition is the biggest City Edition ever launched in Australia. The Gold Coast community has fully embraced bringing this game to life, and now it’s available for the public to purchase and roll the dice!”
The MONOPOLY game first hit the shelves in 1935 – since then it has been played by more than 1 billion people. Today, it is played in 114 countries and enjoyed in over 47 different languages.
The new MONOPOLY: Gold Coast Edition is now available from leading toy retailers across the region including Mind Games. RRP $50.